|Job Title:||Catering Operations Manager|
|Reports To:||Catering General Manager|
|Direct Reports:||Catering Venue Managers/ Room/Floor Managers/Supervisors|
|External Relationships:||Catering Service Providers, Sub-contractors, Material Suppliers, Labour brokers, Custom Brokers, local government authorities, FIFA, Q22, Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy.|
|Internal Relationships:||Senior Management, Procurement team, Finance, Legal, Inventory & Fulfilment team, Guest Services team, Sales/Revenue team, Customer Services, IT team, Technical & Operations team, Affiliates Programme team, Human Resource Management. VIP Programme team (if applicable)|
|Job Summary:||The Catering Operations Manager will be part of the MATCH Hospitality Catering department. This role will be responsible for the project planning, contract management, mobilisation, operational delivery, and demobilisation of catering services for the Official Hospitality Programmes (Commercial/Affiliates) across designated stadiums and villages for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ .
During the planning phase, the Catering Operations Manager will be responsible for managing one or more catering contracts across multiple venues, while assisting with development and implementation of the catering strategy and concept of operations across all venues, as well as focusing in on one or more of the specific and specialist planning elements for the overall project.
During the Operational Phase, the role will evolve into an operational role at venue level with the site venue management of the hospitality catering operations, catering service providers and MATCH venue team.
|Key Accountabilities – Planning Phase|
• Assist the senior members of the department in the development and implementation of the catering strategy and concept of operations for the FIFA World Cup 2022™ and any preceding test events in Qatar for the following programmes:
o FIFA Commercial Hospitality Programme
o FIFA Commercial Affiliates Hospitality Programme
o VIP Programme (if applicable)
• Assist with the development of catering service levels and specifications for each of the hospitality products in line with the concept of operations.
• Assist with the research and analysis of the local and international market.
• Lead the hiring process and selection of candidates for designated venues in line with the personnel structure and recruitment plan.
• Assist with the design and development of the training programme for MATCH venue teams and execute in designated venues.
• Evaluate, monitor and assist where necessary with the development of the Catering Service Provider’s temporary workforce training plans.
• Direct, monitor and review the venue teams to ensure that they complete their allocated tasks as part of the overall achievement of the business plan, and that they are fully aware of the objectives of MATCH.
|Procurement and Contract Management:
• Provide relevant input and assistance as required during the procurement, tender, appointment and contracting processes for catering services along-side the senior members of the departments and other key departments within MATCH Hospitality.
• Assist with the finalization of product specifications, food and beverage menu concepts, staffing ratios and all related scope of works by product.
• Provide input to the Senior Catering Contract Manager as required during the drafting and review process of all key legal documentation at all stages of the procurement process.
• In conjunction with the Senior Catering Team, evaluate Catering Service Provider’s commercial proposals and cost breakdowns and schedules. Participate in negotiations to reach best market price and value.
• Evaluate proposals from Catering Service Providers and key suppliers and work in partnership with other senior members of the Catering Department to present objective and quantifiable analysis and recommendations for the Senior Management Procurement Committee prior to appointment.
• Manage contractual and commercial timelines and responsibilities in the relationship between MATCH Hospitality and the designated contracted service provider from award to completion of the contract.
• Monitor, coordinate and manage Catering Service Provider’s project planning deliverables and other pre-event obligations in line with the master project plan and department risk register.
• Monitor and manage designated set catering budgets to ensure designated Catering Service Providers and other suppliers deliver scope within the pre-agreed budget.
• In conjunction with senior members of the department, evaluate and provide commercial modelling for the use of centralised suppliers as a method to find overall savings to the catering budget or to streamline operations and reduce risk. These are to include but not limited to centralised supply of beverage, temporary labour workforce and logistics transport and storage solutions.
• In conjunction with the senior members of the department ensure the cost centre is managed appropriately, commitment registers kept up to date, purchase orders raised and authorised appropriately, and business is traded in the correct period.
• Work in partnership with the Senior members of the department and the Technical Operations team in FOH and BOH space allocations and planning, infrastructure, utilities and equipment layout design in terms of providing and delivering fully functional catering operational space.
• Develop operational narratives for each catering space and provide any necessary information and paperwork required to obtain licencing, permits and sign off from government and tournament stakeholders.
• Develop and define standard operating procedures per product per location with designated catering service providers.
• Develop a fundamental understanding of the hospitality products on sale and identify and recommend opportunities to enhance client experience through improved operational delivery.
• Design and develop all necessary operational phase collateral such as daily runs sheets, operational plans, policies and procedures for MATCH Venue Managers and Room/Floor Managers/Supervisors.
• Understand the key timelines, milestones and deliverables of the hospitality project programme and ensure that progress is tracked, and timelines are met for your designated tasks and workstreams.
• Lead meetings representing MATCH Hospitality Catering Department's interests with Catering Service Providers, FIFA World Cup™ stakeholders and or other clients/partners.
• Ensure Catering Service Provider’s compliance to all national and local laws and international legislation relating to Health Safety, Food Safety and Hygiene standards and regulations within the catering industry.
• Assist with the development and delivery of the Catering Service Provider workshops/educational sessions as a streamlined method to share information and promote inter-stakeholder collaboration.
• Provide on-going reports to the Catering General Manager regarding the monthly progress and activities on the various projects in hand.
• Liaising, developing and maintaining sound professional relationships with the Supreme Committee, Q22, FIFA, Host City Municipalities and other officials and stakeholders relating to all Official Hospitality Programme’s catering planning, production and operations.
|Key Accountabilities – Operational Phase|
|HR & Team:
• Manage, mentor and motivate the MATCH Hospitality Venue Operations Team in designated venues, both stadium and village teams consisting of direct staff and contractor workforce.
• Lead daily briefings with Catering Operations Team on venue as well as Match Day debriefing
• Maintain a positive team culture where all members work in collaboration and support each other as required.
• Provide assistance where necessary and ensure the catering service provider’s temporary workforce training plans are carried out to the pre-agreed standard.
• Ensure welfare standards for MATCH venue team and all contractor workforce is to the pre-agreed standard.
|Management of Catering Service Provider:
• Provide the Catering Service Provider with all the necessary information, space, infrastructure and access to fulfil their obligations.
• Act as a conduit between the Catering Service Provider and all other MATCH Hospitality departments and external stakeholders.
• Ensure compliance with MATCH Hospitality contract terms, policies and procedures as well as local regulations and laws.
• Monitor and coordinate Catering Service Provider’s work on designated venue(s) to ensure fulfilment of the contract obligations and scope of works.
• Lead daily briefings and match day de-briefing with Catering Service Providers on venue, including updates and issue resolution.
• Ensure quality of all menus and services are delivered consistently to the highest pre-agreed standard and specification and is to a level commensurate with world class major sport event elite hospitality experiences.
|Mobilisation & Bump In:
• Lead the handover and hand back process of all MATCH catering spaces on designated venue(s) at the start and finish of the Exclusive Use Period.
• Ensure all contractor groups have onboarded and respected the necessary policies and procedures for access and delivering to stadium including workforce accreditation, vehicle permits, MDR ‘6 Keys to the Gate’ etc.
• Coordinate the bump in of all MATCH contractor groups to ensure spaces and equipment are complete on schedule and handed over between different third parties following the correct process.
|Issue Resolution & Crisis management:
• Deal with customer complaints within the parameters of the prescribed complaint management process, managing client expectations and any confrontational issues that may arise.
• Coordinate communication between Catering Service Provider and SC/FIFA/Venue teams and other contracted service providers and key internal MATCH departments.
• Escalate issues to the MATCH HQ Catering Team that can’t be resolved on the venue or may have a wider impact on other venues or other departments.
• Ensure all maintenance standby teams are available on venues and easily contactable during all operational periods.
• Ensure all pre event risk assessments, Health & Safety, Food Safety checks and Allergen Management checks are carried out.
• Proactively troubleshoot quality and service issues before they escalate to customer complaints. Manage any complaints at the moment and close out such potential issues on the spot.
• Establish efficient reporting systems for MATCH Hospitality venue teams.
• Fulfil any prescribed reporting requirements established by the MH Project team and/or FIFA/LOC at the stadiums and during Exclusive Use Period.
• Execute and consolidate all daily readiness reports and catering match day operational service reports.
• Execute and consolidate catering service providers’ KPIs and any necessary consumption and reconciliation reports for each match.
• Ensure the regular execution of Issue logs and risk assessments on designated venue(s)
|• The candidate will act in compliance with MATCH Hospitality contract terms, policies and procedures.
• Due to the nature of the business you will be required to work after hours and at weekends as required.
• This is an evolving position that will develop over time. The nature of these events is such that it may be necessary to amend or add to your responsibilities as we get closer to the event and you may be required to perform any task that is allocated to you, specific
|Knowledge, Skills and Experience|
• Minimum 10 years of experience in large scale international sport events preferably in the field of Hospitality Catering Operations
• Good knowledge of international and localised food and beverage cultures relating to Hospitality services at major sporting events
• Experience of working in both a stadium environment and temporary hospitality structure
• Ability to design and deliver a major Food and Beverage Programme to the highest of standards within fixed budgets and timelines
• Experience and understanding of front and back of house operations involved in delivering high quality hospitality guest experience
• An in-depth understanding and experience of international event catering procurement and contract management from tender design to execution
• Ability to coordinate operational teams composed of direct reports, multiple contractors and services suppliers in delivering high level hospitality programmes
• Experience interacting with exacting, high profile clients, VIP/VVIP guests and protocols for IPPs and Heads of State
• Experience in working in a multi-cultural organisation and with international stakeholders such as Government Organisations, Sporting Federations and Local Organising Committees
• Ability to work calmly under pressure and meet multiple deadlines
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Flexible in a constantly evolving environment with good proactive problem-solving skills
• Strong project management and time management skills
• Good administration and IT skills including Microsoft Office and Cloud based Programmes
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Excellent team leader and developer of junior management team
• Relevant University/ College Degree strongly desired
• Fluent in both written and spoken Arabic and English
• Experience of working in Qatar or GCC region
• Qualifications in Food Safety (CIEH), Culinary and or Food Technology
• Qualification in IOSH Managing Safety